Diversity, Equity & Inclusion

Our commitment to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture forms an integral part of our core identity

Our Commitment

Our people collectively define our core identity and we must create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture to attract, develop, and retain the brightest talent in order to better serve our clients.

We are at the forefront of actively promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) within the student community at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and the wider British student consultancy scene.

 

Our commitment to DE&I arises from three dimensions:

 

For the Firm

DE&I is an essential enabler for us to achieve our mission of connecting the brightest minds of LSE with the most daring entrepreneurs and clients. To attract, develop, and retain top talent from the LSE student body, we must relentlessly find the best people; irrespective of their race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.

For Our People

People feeling valued, supported, and nurtured regardless of their background is a source of better teamwork, creativity, productivity, and superior performance. By creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, we unlock the full potential of every one of our student consultants.

For Our Clients

Entrepreneurs and investors are increasingly becoming more diverse. A diverse workforce and team allows for us to better relate to our clients and to understand and solve their business challenges. Combined with the added value of creative ideas and solutions, we can better serve our clients.

 

Our Workforce Demographics

We regularly collect, aggregate, and publish demographics data from our consultants to track our progress on creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture.

By quantifying the workforce demographics, we as a firm can accurately track our progress towards delivering our DE&I mission and commitment. Demographics data and statistics help create actionable insights that feed into the leadership team's decision-making process on all strategic aspects of the firm from recruitment to client engagement.

Methodology

For every intake, we request consultants to provide self-identification information as part of the onboarding process. We ask questions on their academic/education background, disability, ethnic group, religion, sex and gender identity, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic background.

When collecting the above information (with the exception of academic/education and socioeconomic background), we follow the UK Government Statistical Service's harmonised standards which can be accessed here. For academic/education and socioeconomic backgrounds, we use criterions commonly used by employers.

Academic Discipline

Our student consultants come from a wide range of academic discipline available at the LSE.

 

In our most recent intake, 12 different academic departments were represented.

 

The top four departments currently being represented within our workforce are

  • Department of Management (53%)

  • Department of Economics (10%)

  • Department of Finance (10%)

  • Department of Mathematics (6%)

The high representation of the Department of Management is mostly attributed to postgraduate students pursuing the Global Master's in Management and the CEMS Master's in International Management.

Degree Level

62% of our student consultants are pursuing a postgraduate degree whilst the remaining 38% are undergraduate students.

A high proportion of postgraduate students are pursuing the Global Master's in Management and the CEMS Master's in International Management.

We believe this skew towards postgraduate students - many of whom have substantial work experience - creates greater value for our clients and nurtures a learning environment for our undergraduate consultants.

Ethnicity

We maintain a ethnically diverse cohort of student consultants.

 

Of those who disclosed their ethnicity, 55% were of a white background, whilst the remaining 45% were from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) background.

Our ethnic distribution is on track to be approximately in line with that of the wider LSE student body which consists of 42% from a white background and 58% from a BAME background.

Source: 2019–20 Annual Report on
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) at LSE (https://info.lse.ac.uk/staff/divisions/equity-diversity-and-inclusion/Assets/Documents/PDFs/Public-Sector-Equality-Duty-report-for-2019-20.pdf)

Gender

The gender parity ratio of our most recent intake is around 1:3.

At a senior level (Project Manager/Venture Capital Vice President), the distribution changes to 56% female and 44% male. When the leadership team is additionally accounted for, the split become 50% female and 50% male.

Across the entire firm, 34% of our consultants are female and 66% are male, guiding us on track to reach our gender parity target by Michaelmas Term of the 2022/23 academic year.

Religion

Given the LSE's internationally diverse student body, we are proud to have a multitude of religion being represented at Castore Consulting.

Whilst 48% of our consultants identified as having no religion, the remaining 52% consisted of a mixture of different faiths.

 

29% identified as Christians, 10% as Hindus, 3% as Muslims, 3% as Buddhists, 2% as Sikhs, and 3% as any other religion.

Pre-University Education

Our consultants come from a diverse range of pre-university education backgrounds.

29% of our consultants studied at state schools whilst 47% studied at independent or fee-paying schools. This represents an approximate 3:5 ratio between state and independent or fee-paying schools.

When adjusted for students who attended independent or fee-paying schools with bursaries, we achieve a ratio of 1:1 between state/bursary recipients and independent or fee-paying schools without bursaries.

Note: We made a distinction within the independent or fee-paying school category and subdivided into two subcategories: with and without bursary. This is to avoid penalising high-achieving students from low socioeconomic backgrounds who received bursaries to attend independent or fee-paying schools.

 

Learn What It’s Like to Work at Castore Consulting

We strive to attract, develop, and retain the brightest minds at the LSE irrespective of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.